The Beach

Every summer is a bit of a different for me each year, but one thing that will always stay the same and that is the countless hours I spend on the beach every summer. I love pretty much everything about summer: the fact there’s no school, the swimming, and the fact you can hang out with your friends whenever. But none of these will ever compare to the amount of love I have for the beach.

One of the main things my family does is have bonfires on the beach. I think one of the most reassuring things is knowing when you come out of the water that you won’t be freezing cold and dripping wet, but you’ll have a hot blazing fire waiting for you to pull up a lawn chair to dry. We also have use bonfires as a way of cooking, I’ve cooked everything from marshmallows to steaks over the fire. For some reason I prefer cooking over a fire than cooking on anything else, I just like how it gives whatever you cook a nice smokey flavour.

Swimming is the reason I love the beach so much, and so do most others. Since we have a cabin right across from the lake, we’re there pretty much every single weekend unless we have something important coming up.

The thing I love most about the beach by our cabin is that no matter where you are you’ll find some sort of treasure. You can find anything from sea glass to fossils. Even though there’s no palm trees or tropical fish, I always feel that I’m somewhere else when I’m swimming.

I don’t know if it’s just that I’m relaxed or that I’m not used to having a beach since we have winter for almost half a year, but it never fails to make me happy.

My cousin also has a cabin about five minutes from ours, but despite it being so close it has a drastically different beach. It’s a lot nicer than ours since it has a whole lot less rocks and it’s drastically more private than ours. Even though our beach isn’t as good as others ,I still love it.

I’m not one to sit and sunbathe, but I do appreciate getting a tan after being outside for a while. One thing about my mom is that if she could sit and tan for hours if she has a book and a drink in hand. Once I managed to splash her with water and I was grounded for God knows how long.

Other than the fact I get grounded due to the beach in some scenarios I still love it and will never stop.